Getting really Forking fancy

 When the front wheel is on the ground, I really didn't have too much trouble with the front end on the RD/TZ thing I was riding.

The huge gun sight tubes sticking out of the headstock however were a little unsightly though so off I went to Classic Racing Green to see what he could do for me.
Andy had talked about chopping my forks before but when I saw him this time he made short work of convincing me to upgrade the internals whilst I was there with top notch K-tech parts.

The forks I have fitted to my RD are from a Yamaha FZR400 1WG. K-tech don't do an off the shelf set of cartridges for them but after a fair bit of measuring, Andy was able to specify and demand all the parts he needed to make them.
Whilst we were there some fixed rate springs were ordered rather than cutting down my progressive springs and Andy's signature classic look top nuts were also made specially for these 38mm forks.
 The parts took a couple of weeks to come together so whilst we waited for everything to be ready we got busy stripping both forks down and cleaning things up.
Andy had convinced me that a brushed aluminium look would suit these so I got to doing the less technical job of paint stripping and brushing whilst Andy got busy on the lathe.
The stanchions weren't perfect but they were more than usable so he cut them to length and then restored the honed surface to them which had gradually polished back to shiny chrome over the years.
With both of our jobs done we cleaned everything up ready for assembly which is where I left him to it.
A couple of weeks later I got a call that everything had arrived and not long after that they were assembled and ready to collect.
Everything was done down to the oil level set perfectly. All I had to do was tighten the top nuts once they were fitted to the bike and set the suspension to how I wanted it.
By now the bike build had progressed enough to fit the forks which I was excited to see how well they would fit.
Unsurprisingly they were perfect, so much so that I ended up really going to town on the rest of the bike to ensure it was all to the same high standard.
One part, that I didn't photograph for some reason, was building up the wheel spindle hex end with weld and reshaping it back to how it was supposed to look before I ground it out down Snettertons start finish straight last year. It came out really well and was well worth the effort.
I added the finishing touches of the Classic Racing Green stickers and the mandatory oil drain tape once everything was finally assembled. With that painted chassis, this bike is starting to look a bit nice!
If you fancy a set of these forks; head over to Classic racing Green on Facebook and get enquiring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rolling lite

Going back to ignition

Engine remove, strip, rebuild, fit, repeat...