More bling.



A comment here and a chance encounter there and I had managed to replace my rear caliper after just two race meets.


Here's how & why...


It is probably pretty telling that the best picture I have of my red Brembo(ish) caliper is captured with the bike on its side.
The Yamaha Aerox caliper was very cheap at £27 new with pads and worked just fine as a low cost Brembo rear caliper alternative.
It had three flaws however:
  1. It was red. I kind of liked the way it worked with the accent red stripe but was getting mixed reviews from others.
  2. Risk of damage to the bleed nipple in a fall.
  3. The pads had all but fallen apart.
Clearly colour and pads are easily fixed with paint and a quick order to EBC which was on the way anyway. A chat with Andy Green (we have lots of these) had come to the conclusion that a bleed nipple banjo bolt and a blank would reduce the risk of damage easily.

It  was whilst looking into other sources of this very cheap caliper for another racer that I spotted the Yamaha Slider also made use of this caliper and better still it was a fully branded gold one. I picked one up for £15 as it just seemed plain rude not to.

Work required

I already had all of the brackets and disk thanks to my work on the red Aerox caliper so this was a fairly straight forward swap.

First of all I had to blank off the OEM bleed nipple as this was in the same position as the Aerox caliper. I used an M8 bolt which I gave a taper to match the nipple using a drill and angle grinder which was fairly successful.

A new banjo bolt with a bleed nipple could them be used to fix the brake hose and bleed the system. This was best done off the bike so the caliper could be tipped to place the nipple on top An old brake pad works great as something for the pads to bite down on in the absence of a disc.

That aside I thoroughly cleaned the caliper and fitted some new EBC double H sintered bronze pads. The spacing was slightly different between the calipers which I solved with some different thickness washers for now. Nice spacers can be made another time.


One nice thing about the branded caliper over the out going red one is that it is anodized rather than painted which is much hardier. 

The other nice thing is it looks like it belongs there.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rolling lite

Going back to ignition

Engine remove, strip, rebuild, fit, repeat...